13 December 2012

Diffusivity Profiles and α-Effect

So yesterday (12 December 2012) I reverse engineered enough FORTRAN syntax to have SURYA output the information for the α-effect, toroidal diffusivity, and poloidal diffusivity profiles. Each of these is calculated once and is not updated subsequently, so a very short run was all that was needed to get the relevant info.

There is a prepackaged plotting routine for the α-effect profile at a given colatitude/latitude, which I rediscovered while writing plotting routines for the diffusivity profiles. I have yet to go through it and figure out exactly how it works, and I may just decide to write another one. Its output looks like this (after scaling the horizontal axis and adding some axis labels):

α-effect profile, near the pole (according to the output).
The plotting routine I did "write" displays the α-effect on a meridional slab:
To be fair, by "write" I mean, "I realized that since these profiles aren't updated in time, just like the differential rotation, I could just hijack that plotting routine." That having been said, here's what the poloidal and toroidal diffusivity profiles look like (note, I did not rescale the values to physical units):


Which I suppose is all well and good, but the diffusivities don't vary as functions of θ. That means that, pretty though those plots may be, you really only need to see them as functions of radius (the values have been rescaled to physical units here):

So what have we learned? While making pretty plots is fun, sometimes it's unnecessary. Some of those times are when things only vary in one dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment